- About CPKN
- Course Catalogue
- Learning Solutions
- CPKN Model
Suicide Awareness and Prevention
- Course Category:
Also available: Suicide Awareness and Prevention for Supervisors
Every day, police and emergency response personnel are immersed in stressful and often dangerous situations. Over time, the effects of those accumulated stresses can lead to mental injury and self-harming behaviors. However, a ‘bullet-proof’ culture within these fields often keeps individuals from recognizing or accepting signs of stress and from seeking appropriate help. As a result, suicide rates among first responders are two to three times higher than in the general population.
Suicide Awareness and Prevention is designed to help members of the policing and first responder community recognize the factors associated with suicide and how to support mental health and well-being in the workplace. In addition to reviewing strategies and resources for preventing suicide, this course addresses the importance of crisis intervention and overcoming the stigma associated with mental health issues.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Recall the prevalence of suicide in Canada
- Identify the increased risk of suicide among emergency personnel
- Describe how first responder culture prevents talking about suicide
- Recall the progression of suicidal ideation
- Describe the impact that suicide has on the first responder community
- Identify potential suicide risk factors for emergency personnel
- Differentiate the facts and fictions concerning suicide
- Determine when a person may be showing signs of suicidal ideation
- Identify the importance of stress management
- Explain the importance of dialogue in suicide prevention
- Identify the importance of peer support
- Recall the similarities between mental and physical health
- Describe your role in maintaining your own mental health
- Recognize the steps in crisis intervention
- Explain the role of a psychologist in suicide prevention
- Identify suicide prevention resources
This course is designed for all police and first responder personnel.
Content for this course was provided by York Regional Police with additional support from the Mental Health Commission of Canada. Development was funded, in part, by the Motorola Solutions Foundation.
Content Provider: York Regional Police
Language: English / French
Length: 1 hour
Release Date: 2016-05-02