- About CPKN
- Course Catalogue
- Learning Solutions
- CPKN Model
Spit Hood Familiarization
- Course Category:
This course was developed by the Ontario Provincial Police and made available to all police services via CPKN. Please be advised that this course may contain OPP-specific information/policies.
During the course of their duties, officers may sometimes encounter individuals who attempt to spit on them or bite them. Due to the potential health hazards associated with saliva, officers have the option of employing spit hoods on aggressive subjects.
Spit Hood Familiarization reviews the proper use of a spit hood and precautions officers must take when utilizing a hood to ensure the safety of both the individual and the officer. In addition to describing what situations a spit hood should or should not be used, this course also explains how to properly put on and remove a hood from a subject and circumstances when a hood should be removed from a subject.
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Identify where and when a spit hood can be used and who is to be advised;
- Demonstrate the proper steps in putting on and removing a spit hood;
- Describe when a spit hood should not be used;
- State the conditions when a spit hood must be removed and appropriate medical intervention sought; and
- Describe the proper disposal procedures as outlined by OPP Orders – HazMat Manual.
This course is designed for sworn officers, special constables, and corrections officers.
This course was created by the Ontario Provincial Police.
Content Provider: Ontario Provincial Police
Length: 10 minutes
Release Date: 2014-09-30