- About CPKN
- Course Catalogue
- Learning Solutions
- CPKN Model
Police Information Portal
- Course Category:
The Police Information Portal (PIP) is a component of the National Integrated Interagency Information (N-III) system, a groundbreaking information sharing initiative for police, public safety, and federal agencies across Canada. Accessed through CPIC and managed by the RCMP, PIP is a searchable index of all police agency Record Management Systems across the country and is an important means of gathering information during serial predator investigations, organized crime investigations, and investigations where the subject moves from one jurisdiction to another. By providing access to better information, PIP not only benefits all police officers, but also the communities they serve.
The ability of officers to fully and correctly utilize PIP is essential to maximizing the benefits and efficiency of this tool. Designed for frontline personnel, this course provides information on using PIP, policy issues, proper use instructions, and quality of information issues that will provide police services across the country with better information.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Explain why the Police Information Portal was established and describe the type of information it contains
- Describe the responsibility issues surrounding use of the Police Information Portal and the policies that provide a framework for investigators to use information from other police services in their investigations
- Perform a Police Information Portal Name and Vehicle query from the Niche System
- Perform a Police Information Portal Name and Vehicle query from the Versaterm System
- Perform a Police Information Portal Name and Vehicle query from the Versaterm Mobile Data Terminal
- Explain the importance of accurate information in the context of national sharing
- Explain the importance of auditing in the context of national sharing
This is an introductory level course and is designed for all PIP users, including frontline police personnel and appropriate civilian staff.
Content for this course has been developed by the London Police Service with assistance from the Ontario Provincial Police and the RCMP.
|The development of this course was funded by the
Government of Canada's Sector Council Program.
Content Provider: London Police Service
Language: English / French
Length: 2 hours
Release Date: 2010-10-04