- About CPKN
- Course Catalogue
- Learning Solutions
- CPKN Model
Occupational Health and Safety: Frontline Officer
- Course Category:
As a frontline officer, there are many hazards that can threaten your personal health and safety. It is important that you are able to recognize, assess, and control these hazards, and understand your rights and responsibilities in the workplace. This knowledge can play a significant role in protecting you and your co-workers from injury, limiting personal liability, and assisting your employer in achieving legislated and moral obligations for workplace safety.
Occupational Health & Safety: Frontline Officer is designed to ensure that frontline officers understand how health and safety is integrated into emergency and non-emergency events. In addition to identifying common workplace health and safety hazards, this course will explore the impact of workplace incidents; the rights, responsibilities, and authorities associated with health and safety legislation; and the requirements for an effective incident investigation.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify health and safety legislation that applies in the workplace
- Recognize the rights and responsibilities under the applicable legislation
- Explain the purpose of a Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Recall the legal rights and responsibilities of a Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Explain the role of the Ministry of Labour
- Explain the legislated authority of the Ministry of Labour inspectors
- Explain the rights, duties, and responsibilities of parties involved in a work refusal process
- Summarize the work refusal process
- Identify common health and safety hazards in a workplace
- Explain the principles used in recognizing, assessing, and controlling hazards
- Explain the purpose of an incident investigation
- Explain the impact of workplace incidents on the worker, their family, and their service
- Recall the legal requirements for investigations
- Identify the tools and information used to complete an effective incident investigation
- Recall the roles and responsibilities of all parties involved in an early and safe return to work
This course is designed for all frontline police officers.
Content for this course has been provided by the Public Services Health and Safety Association.
|The development of this course was funded by the
Government of Canada's Sector Council Program.
Content Provider: Public Services Health and Safety Association
Language: English / French
Length: 2 hours
Release Date: 2011-10-25