- About CPKN
- Course Catalogue
- Learning Solutions
- CPKN Model
Missing Person Investigations in British Columbia
- Course Category:
This course is designed to orient learners to the British Columbia Provincial Policing Standards (BCPPS) for missing person investigations (BCPPS 5.1) and the Missing Persons Act. Please consult your agency training section for specific requirements for completion of the course.
The new BCPPS regarding missing person investigations came into effect on September 1, 2016. This e-learning course promotes awareness of the standards, highlights key aspects for police agencies at the organizational level, and identifies key procedural elements of the standards.
The new Missing Persons Act was brought into force June 9, 2015. This e-learning course promotes awareness of the tools available to police under this legislation, and the circumstances and constraints governing their use.
This course is not a guide to BCPPS 5.1 or the Missing Persons Act, or a substitute for direct reading of these documents. Every police agency is responsible for ensuring its members are aware of and can apply BCPPS 5.1 and the Missing Persons Act. These documents should be consulted directly for guidance on implementation and application.
This course is not intended as legal advice. Police agencies should follow normal consultative practices if legal advice is required during implementation of BCPPS 5.1 or the Missing Persons Act.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS COURSE IS DELIVERED IN HTML5 FORMAT AND REQUIRES GOOGLE, CHROME, EDGE, OR FIREFOX BROWSERS TO RUN PROPERLY.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Recognize the Missing Women Commission of Inquiry as the catalyst for the missing person investigation standards and the development of the Missing Persons Act;
- Recall the guiding principles of the BC Provincial Policing Standards for missing person investigations;
- Recognize the key organization-level impacts of the BC Provincial Policing Standards for missing person investigations;
- Describe the major procedural elements of the BC Provincial Policing Standards for missing person investigations;
- Identify the key tools available to police under the Missing Persons Act.
This course is designed for all frontline officers, supervisors, and any police officer or police agency employee who may be involved in any aspect of a missing person investigation in British Columbia.
Content for this course was provided by the BC Ministry of Justice.
Price: Free to BC agencies
Content Provider: BC Ministry of Justice
Length: 30 minutes
Release Date: 2016-09-12