- About CPKN
- Course Catalogue
- Learning Solutions
- CPKN Model
Frontline Supervisor - Leadership
- Course Category:
Also available in this series:
- Frontline Supervisor - Domestic Violence
- Frontline Supervisor - Organizational Skills
- Frontline Supervisor - Performance Management
- Frontline Supervisor - Self-managing Skills
Effective leadership builds vision, aligns people and resources, inspires commitment, and motivates staff to achieve organizational goals. However, new police supervisors are often challenged by the transition from team member to team leader. Learning how to deal with transition issues and understanding leadership behaviours contributes to the success of new supervisors.
Frontline Supervisor - Leadership is designed to inform new supervisors on the role of a leader, the difference between leaders and managers, and the expectations associated with a supervisory position. In addition to exploring the transition from constable to frontline supervisor, this course will describe the behaviors and characteristics linked to effective police leadership.
Attention Ontario Police College Learners
Effective December 2012, the Ontario Police College will begin registration for its blended Front Line Supervisor course. The OPC course consists of three modules:
Module 1: Pre-course materials;
Learners registered to the OPC course must complete these elements in the prescribed, consecutive order. Journaling is mandatory for successful completions of all 3 modules. As such, Certificates of Completion for the CPKN online courses that have been completed prior to registering for the OPC course cannot be applied to the completion of the full OPC course.
For more information about the blended OPC Front Line Supervisor course, please contact your training branch for a detailed course description, check the link at www.opconline.ca or contact:
For General Registration:
For Specific Inquiries:
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Describe and model the role of a leader
- Describe and model the characteristics of a leader and a manager
- Describe the transition from constable to frontline supervisor
- Describe the accountability and expectations of a supervisor
- Explain the leadership continuum and the use of delegation
- Explain leadership flexibility
- Explain various leadership theories and models
- Explain the importance of consistency in leadership
- Explain the relevance of a flexible approach to leadership
This course is designed for new police supervisors.
Content for this course was developed by the Ontario Police College.
|The development of this course was funded by the
Government of Canada's Sector Council Program.
Content Provider: Ontario Police College
Language: English / French
Length: 2 hours
Release Date: 2012-06-05