- About CPKN
- Course Catalogue
- Learning Solutions
- CPKN Model
Forensic Evidence Collection
- Course Category:
Forensic evidence is a critical element of criminal investigations and subsequent legal proceedings. To ensure the validity of forensic evidence at trial, law enforcement personnel must be able to recognize, collect, handle, store, and transport forensic evidence in accordance with established guidelines.
Forensic Evidence Collection provides frontline officers with a comprehensive overview of types of physical evidence, legal and scientific issues related to integrity and admissibility, packaging and shipping standards, and health and safety issues. It also reviews the role and services provided by National Forensic Services and its involvement in criminal investigations.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Explain the role that National Forensic Services has in supporting criminal investigations.
- Describe the different types of physical evidence that may arise in criminal investigations.
- Discuss the legal and scientific issues relating to forensic evidence integrity and admissibility
- Recall the different National Forensic Services disciplines, their typical exhibit types, and potential involvement in criminal investigations
- List typical exhibit types associated with common crime scenes and explain the proper packaging and shipping standards for them
- Recall the Specialty Services offered within National Forensic Services and explain their general involvement in criminal investigations
- Recall the Forensic Disciplines not provided by National Forensic Services and explain their general involvement in criminal investigations
- Discuss legal issues related to initial forensic evidence collection and the subsequent collection of comparative samples
- Discuss health and safety issues related to evidence collection and legal issues related to their transportation
This introductory level course is designed for police and law enforcement officers who may be involved in investigations involving forensic evidence. It is an effective training resource for new personnel, but also serves as a useful reference or refresher for more experienced officers.
Content for this course was developed by the RCMP – National Forensic Services.
|The development of this course was funded by the
Government of Canada's Sector Council Program.
Content Provider: RCMP – National Forensic Services
Language: English / French
Length: 4 hours
Release Date: 2011-06-10