- About CPKN
- Course Catalogue
- Learning Solutions
- CPKN Model
First Aid and CPR Training for Police Officers
Formerly titled "Active Canadian Emergency First Aid/CPR for Police Officers"
While carrying out your duties, you may be called upon to provide first aid for someone who is ill or injured and possibly unresponsive. By learning the steps of The ApproachTM, to managing medical or traumatic emergencies, you will be better prepared to handle emergency situations as they arise. This standard, developed by Active Canadian Emergency Training Inc., is used by paramedics when responding to medical or traumatic emergencies.
The First Aid and CPR Training for Police Officers program is specifically designed for police officers, providing them with the knowledge, skill and confidence to effectively treat medical and/or traumatic emergency patients. This course will introduce you to the fundamentals of first aid, The ApproachTM, procedures for performing CPR and how to operate an AED. Additionally, you will learn how to recognize and treat the signs and symptoms typically associated with different types of injuries/illnesses encountered by police officers.
The program is based on an accredited standard developed by provincial workers compensations boards and nationally by Health Canada. It is a blended learning approach incorporating both online learning and in-classroom training. Previously a full-day classroom course, police officers can now utilize this approach to receive their mandatory First Aid / CPR Certification in just 2-4 hours of online learning and 1 hour in the classroom. A short classroom session is required so that participants can demonstrate and be tested on their ability to perform the practical skills. This approach reduces training time by 3-5 hours per participant and significantly reduces an organization's training costs.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify the objectives and priorities of first aid for a police officer
- Identify the different steps involved in The ApproachTM
- Identify how to properly manage an emergency scene as a police officer
- Identify how to properly assess a patient
- Recognize the procedures for managing a patient's airway, breathing, circulation and deadly bleeding
- Identify cardiovascular disease and how to treat a patient suffering from the effects of cardiovascular disease
- Recognize the proper procedures for performing one/two-rescuer CPR
- Recognize the proper policies and procedure for using an AED
- Recognize ballistic trauma and identify how to treat a Police Officer suffering from ballistic trauma using the 'strip and flip' body amour removal techniques
- Recognize signs and symptoms of trauma to the head and/or brain
- Recognize the procedures for treating patients suffering from head and/or brain trauma
- Recognize signs and symptoms of trauma to the torso
- Recognize the procedures for treating a patient suffering from torso trauma
- Recognize signs and symptoms of spinal cord and/or musculoskeletal trauma
- Recognize the procedures for treating patients suffering from spinal cord and/or musculoskeletal trauma
- Recognize signs and symptoms of burns and the procedures for treating patients suffering from burns
- Recognize signs and symptoms and the procedures for treating patients suffering from toxic substances in the body
- Recognize signs and symptoms and the procedures for treating patients suffering from respiratory emergencies, including positional or restraint asphyxia
- Recognize how to provide aid for patients suffering from seizures
- Recognize how to provide aid for treating patients suffering from diabetic emergencies
- Identify Critical Incident Stress Syndrome (CISS)
Content for this course has been provided by Workplace Medical First Aid Training (formerly Active Canadian Emergency Training Inc.).
Contact Kate McGaffin at 800-205-3278 x1323 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the course, pricing and availability of the blended format.
CPKN can also provide additional information in regards to the delivery of the course. Please contact CPKN at 1-866-357-CPKN (2756) or via email at email@example.com.
- This is a blended learning course delivered by Workplace Medical First Aid Training (WMC) in which participants take the e-learning course prior to a practical session.
- This course is not available for individual peace officers. Typically, police services contract with WMC to arrange training for large groups or the entire organization.
- With this blended course, police services have the option of having WMC facilitating the practical sessions or undertaking train-the-trainer sessions with WMC to have in-house resources facilitate the practical sessions.
Price: Contact Kate McGaffin at 800-205-3278 x1323
Content Provider: Workplace Medical First Aid Training (formerly Active Canadian Emergency Training Inc.)
Length: 2 hours (online)
Release Date: 2005-09-05